Monday 7 January 2008

What are they worth to you?

This is something I read. It made me cry.

Children as young as 6 are cutting themselves. The average self-harmer is aged 11, and 1 in 10 adolescents are thought to have cut themselves deliberately at least once. A typical 16-year-old girl says that most days she cuts into her arms until they bleed, explaining that 'the pain proves you're human...'

Suddenly I find myself in a giant hall. Surrounding me are thousands of young people, battered, bruised and broken. Then a voice says: "What am I bid?"
A Young girl stands out before the crowd of leering, sneering men. "What am I bid for this piece of flesh?"
The men start to cheer and shout figures: "Ten...Twenty...Fifty...One Hundred."
What can I do, God?
I start to bid. I have to save her. The cost becomes huge and I begin to waiver. Can I afford this? What price will I pay?
The dream stops. I'm alone again. But the faces are real enough: Sarah being sold into prostitution; Mike with a revolver in his mouth; Kat covered in cuts and bruises; John falling into crime; Laura alone and desperate; Steve, heroin needle bulging into his vein.
"What am I bid?" The voice shatters the silence. The auction is on again. The bidding has begun. It continues day and night until the end. Most of the bidders desire only use and abuse. Satan drives them on.
And so I find myself in the auction. Will I watch or will I bid? The price of a single life is huge. The currency is prayer. The cost is massive but the prize is glorious. A life for a life.
"What am I bid?"


I have seen it. I have wept for them.

But, surely these people deserve more than just our tears...

2 comments:

kate said...

meet you on polk, tomorrow night at midnight, when the stars are high and the air is hopeful.

emily said...

this reminds me of an izzy i once knew.
one who will save the world with her love, and passion for our jesus.
he specially molded your heart, in a way not like other's hearts. he will use it for greater things than we can begin to imagine.